It takes courageous leadership to advance your mission. Successful fundraising is about the mission, not simply about money. Your organization may have a worthy vision, but if you do not have the resources available to step out for those you serve, you will never advance your mission.
Courage alone won’t raise money, but without a courageous outlook about fundraising, you will remain stuck with the status quo. Here are some tips for giving your staff and board leadership a boost of courage:
Unify Your Leadership Around the Vision
If your nonprofit’s leadership isn’t unified under one vision for the organization, it will be difficult to have the courage to raise money. Knowing what will be accomplished with more money will help give board members and others confidence to talk about the mission (not just the money) and to share why the organization is worthy of support.
Undergo a Comprehensive Fundraising Plan
Once a strong vision is established and agreed upon, developing a Comprehensive Fundraising Plan is the next step in advancing the mission with courage. As you develop your plan, ensure you have taken the time to analyze past fundraising activities, define objectives and goals for each fundraising effort, create a method to track and evaluate progress, outline a timeline, and ensure you have a strong case for support that outlines your organization’s vision.
Enlist Fundraising Professionals
Leadership will be more apt to assist in the fundraising process when they have trusted professional fundraising counsel and a well-trained development team guiding the effort. Hiring the right fundraising professionals provides a great return on investment to advance your mission.
Take the time today to evaluate your leadership. Do your board members have the courage they need to advance your organization’s fundraising? If they don’t, take the time to help them build their courage and confidence in the fundraising process.
Next stops on the road to achieving Hartsook’s mission of growing philanthropy by 25 percent in the next 20 years:
May 23-25, 2018
Boy Scouts of America Annual Meeting
June 6-7, 2018
LeadingAge Virginia Annual Conference
June 18-19, 2018
NHH – Norwegian School of Economics
June 21-22, 2018
National Taiwan University
June 25-26, 2018
BX2018, Australian Government
Keynote: John List
August 13-24, 2018
August 29-31, 2018
Boy Scouts of America Top Hands
September 19-20, 2018
Science of Philanthropy Institute Conference 2018
October 5-6, 2018
Advances with Field Experiments
October 16-18, 2018
University of Basel
8th Bernoulli Lecture for the Behavioral Sciences
Resources for Smart Fundraising Available on Kindle
Keep up to date on the latest fundraising trends with the Kindle ASR Media collection:
- Reality Fundraising – Ideas, insights and lessons learned through hundreds of best practices from nonprofit professionals nationwide by Bob Hartsook
- Fundraising Leadership – The definitive source for empowering board members to become pro-active fundraising leaders by Karin L. Cox
- Getting Your Ducks in a Row – A tool box of strategies for effective campaign fundraising by Bob Hartsook
- Million Dollar Gifts – Real-life stories of million-dollar gifts that will amaze and inspire your fundraising by Bob Hartsook
- Closing that Gift – “29 secrets” to closing a gift and avoiding the top 10 solicitation mistakes by Bob Hartsook
- Performance-Driven Fundraising – Handy, yet entertaining reference tool for new and seasoned fundraisers by Matthew J. Beem
- Nobody Wants to Give Money Away! – Stories, humor and more than two decades of fundraising experience in which Bob explores the nine fundraising truths essential to success by Bob Hartsook
- On The Money! – An enlightening collection of success stories and lessons learned from nonprofit fundraising campaigns nationwide by Bob Hartsook
- $231 Billion Raised and Counting – by Bob Hartsook, Matthew J. Beem, Karin Cox and over a dozen Hartsook consultants and clients. Hartsook shares stories and “Strategies for Success” that will educate and inspire
Book Deal of the Month
Hartsook President and CEO Matthew J. Beem’s book Performance-Driven Fundraising: Taking Control of Your Success shares decades of fundraising insights and features campaign success stories. Performance-Driven Fundraising will help accelerate anyone’s learning curve and serve as a valuable reference tool for new and seasoned fundraisers. Go here for a special price of $10 (plus shipping and handling).
On the Web
|Timely Tips and Tweets! Follow us on Twitter at HartsookTips for tips and giveaways.|
|Facebook: Become a Fan and a Friend. Fundraising tips, event photos, news and updates – see what’s new at Hartsook by becoming a fan of us on Facebook. Friend Hartsook Founder and Chair Bob Hartsook, CEO Matthew J. Beem, and Chief Creative Officer Karin Cox for even more updates!|
Visit the Hartsook website for:
– Educational opportunities
– Books/reference articles
– Conference/workshop speakers
Strategies for Success explores smart ideas, connecting with thousands of fundraising professionals. We welcome your best practices contributions or comments. Send to Strategies for Success editor Karin Cox, [email protected]. If you’d like a free subscription to Strategies for Success or its monthly companion, eHartsook on Philanthropy, contact [email protected].