Fundraising Destination Fundamentals
How is your organization doing? Do you know where you’re headed? How have you been charting your course?
These are the questions you should be asking, early and often, in order to continue to reach your organization’s goals. The concept may be simple, but lack of follow-through has proven to be the fatal flaw for many organizations.
So, what are you doing each day, week, and month to ensure your organization’s fundraising success? What systems are in place that keep you moving toward your desired goal?
Here are three fundamental strategies to help you reach your destination:
Chart your course
Gather the right people. Have you invited people of influence and affluence to be part of your organization’s journey? Whether or not you are undertaking a campaign, gather your staff and board members to discuss and develop a long-term vision. Get it in writing. Be specific. Identify monthly or quarterly goals to fit into your annual, semi-annual, or long-term plan.
Consistency is key
Even though you have a destination and a plan, you can expect a bump in the road along the way. Review your plans and make adjustments to stay on track. Even if it is a short staff meeting, check in weekly on your team’s benchmarks, progress and next steps.
Inspire those who are along for the ride
You will not get to your destination without dedicated volunteers and staff doing the work to meet your fundraising goals. Think of ways to inspire them and keep everyone excited about the work they are doing. For example, always start your meetings by sharing a victory or a word of encouragement. Take time to celebrate big accomplishments.
If you start to get off course, don’t get discouraged. You’re a leader! Get back in gear. Keep going, and let us know if Hartsook can help you get where you want to be … sooner than planned.
Next stops on the road to achieving Hartsook’s mission of growing philanthropy by 25 percent in the next 20 years:
August 15, 2018
Relationship Fundraising 3.0
August 17, 2018
2018 Berkeley Summer School in Environmental and Energy Economics
Field Experiments in Environmental and Resources Economics
August 23-31, 2018
September 11, 2018
2018 University of Chicago
Science of Diversity & Inclusion Initiative Conference
September 19-20, 2018
Science of Philanthropy Initiative Conference 2018
September 26-29, 2018
American Association for State and Local History Annual Meeting
Donor-Focused Fundraising: Letting Research Guide Your Organization’s Philanthropy
Matthew J. Beem
Debbie Bass, National WWI Museum and Memorial
October 5-6, 2018
Advances with Field Experiments
October 16-18, 2018
University of Basel
8th Bernoulli Lecture for the Behavioral Sciences
November 14, 2018
2018 KC National Philanthropy Day
Lead Sponsor: Hartsook
February 7-8, 2019
LSE Annual Behavioural Public Policy Lecture
Resources for Smart Fundraising Available on Kindle
Keep up to date on the latest fundraising trends with the Kindle ASR Media collection:
- Reality Fundraising – Ideas, insights and lessons learned through hundreds of best practices from nonprofit professionals nationwide by Bob Hartsook
- Fundraising Leadership – The definitive source for empowering board members to become pro-active fundraising leaders by Karin L. Cox
- Getting Your Ducks in a Row – A tool box of strategies for effective campaign fundraising by Bob Hartsook
- Million Dollar Gifts – Real-life stories of million-dollar gifts that will amaze and inspire your fundraising by Bob Hartsook
- Closing that Gift – “29 secrets” to closing a gift and avoiding the top 10 solicitation mistakes by Bob Hartsook
- Performance-Driven Fundraising – Handy, yet entertaining reference tool for new and seasoned fundraisers by Matthew J. Beem
- Nobody Wants to Give Money Away! – Stories, humor and more than two decades of fundraising experience in which Bob explores the nine fundraising truths essential to success by Bob Hartsook
- On The Money! – An enlightening collection of success stories and lessons learned from nonprofit fundraising campaigns nationwide by Bob Hartsook
- $231 Billion Raised and Counting – by Bob Hartsook, Matthew J. Beem, Karin Cox and over a dozen Hartsook consultants and clients. Hartsook shares stories and “Strategies for Success” that will educate and inspire
How to Get Million Dollar Gifts and Have Donors Thank You (ASR Media) recounts 101 strategies surrounding amazing, real life fundraising gifts of $1 million dollars or more. Go here for a special price of $10 (plus shipping and handling).
On the Web
|Timely Tips and Tweets! Follow us on Twitter at HartsookTips for tips and giveaways.|
|Facebook: Become a Fan and a Friend. Fundraising tips, event photos, news and updates – see what’s new at Hartsook by becoming a fan of us on Facebook. Friend Hartsook Founder and Chair Bob Hartsook, CEO Matthew J. Beem, and Chief Creative Officer Karin Cox for even more updates!|
Visit the Hartsook website for:
– Educational opportunities
– Books/reference articles
– Conference/workshop speakers
Strategies for Success explores smart ideas, connecting with thousands of fundraising professionals. We welcome your best practices contributions or comments. Send to Strategies for Success editor Karin Cox, [email protected]. If you’d like a free subscription to Strategies for Success or its monthly companion, eHartsook on Philanthropy, contact [email protected].