Grow Philanthropy Before It Is Needed
Nonprofit leaders and board members carry the responsibility for an organization’s financial oversight. In fact, financial support is an expectation of board membership, since foundations and prospective donors will often ask if a nonprofit has 100-percent board member funding participation: “If the leaders aren’t on board, why should others be?”
Even if an organization is supported well and all its expenses are covered by regular giving, it is important to keep raising money for long-term sustainability and unexpected, yet inevitable, events such as economic downturns. Here are some basic concepts for raising money on an ongoing basis:
Fundraising is not just a means for raising money. It is a tool to grow your donor base, strengthen relationships and improve programs and services. Through proper planning, ongoing fundraising provides more benefits than simply cash resources alone. The true goal should be changed lives. Through philanthropy, communities are made stronger and lives are enriched.
While not all organizations will need to raise millions of dollars for buildings and equipment, every nonprofit has a need that is compelling and urgent. Put your vision and what you will do with funds in writing. Donors want to make a difference, and your organization can make this possible.
As President John Kennedy was known to say, “The time to repair the roof is when the sun is shining.” In keeping with this truism, don’t wait to raise money until you need the resource. The best time to raise funds is now. If you are waiting until you need the funds to begin growing philanthropy, you will only make the process more challenging.
Remember, your mission and vision will always raise more money than your organization’s needs. Put together a plan to grow philanthropy and implement your plan before you need the additional resources. Then, you will be well prepared when the inevitable comes.
Next stops on the road to achieving Hartsook’s mission of growing philanthropy by 25 percent in the next 20 years:
August 23-31, 2018
September 11, 2018
2018 University of Chicago
Science of Diversity & Inclusion Initiative Conference
September 19-20, 2018
Science of Philanthropy Initiative Conference 2018
September 26-29, 2018
American Association for State and Local History Annual Meeting
Donor-Focused Fundraising: Letting Research Guide Your Organization’s Philanthropy
Matthew J. Beem
Debbie Bass, National WWI Museum and Memorial
October 5-6, 2018
Advances with Field Experiments
October 16-18, 2018
University of Basel
8th Bernoulli Lecture for the Behavioral Sciences
November 14, 2018
2018 KC National Philanthropy Day
Lead Sponsor: Hartsook
February 7-8, 2019
LSE Annual Behavioural Public Policy Lecture
Resources for Smart Fundraising Available on Kindle
Keep up to date on the latest fundraising trends with the Kindle ASR Media collection:
- Reality Fundraising – Ideas, insights and lessons learned through hundreds of best practices from nonprofit professionals nationwide by Bob Hartsook
- Fundraising Leadership – The definitive source for empowering board members to become pro-active fundraising leaders by Karin L. Cox
- Getting Your Ducks in a Row – A tool box of strategies for effective campaign fundraising by Bob Hartsook
- Million Dollar Gifts – Real-life stories of million-dollar gifts that will amaze and inspire your fundraising by Bob Hartsook
- Closing that Gift – “29 secrets” to closing a gift and avoiding the top 10 solicitation mistakes by Bob Hartsook
- Performance-Driven Fundraising – Handy, yet entertaining reference tool for new and seasoned fundraisers by Matthew J. Beem
- Nobody Wants to Give Money Away! – Stories, humor and more than two decades of fundraising experience in which Bob explores the nine fundraising truths essential to success by Bob Hartsook
- On The Money! – An enlightening collection of success stories and lessons learned from nonprofit fundraising campaigns nationwide by Bob Hartsook
- $231 Billion Raised and Counting – by Bob Hartsook, Matthew J. Beem, Karin Cox and over a dozen Hartsook consultants and clients. Hartsook shares stories and “Strategies for Success” that will educate and inspire
How to Get Million Dollar Gifts and Have Donors Thank You (ASR Media) recounts 101 strategies surrounding amazing, real life fundraising gifts of $1 million dollars or more. Go here for a special price of $10 (plus shipping and handling).
On the Web
|Timely Tips and Tweets! Follow us on Twitter at HartsookTips for tips and giveaways.|
|Facebook: Become a Fan and a Friend. Fundraising tips, event photos, news and updates – see what’s new at Hartsook by becoming a fan of us on Facebook. Friend Hartsook Founder and Chair Bob Hartsook, CEO Matthew J. Beem, and Chief Creative Officer Karin Cox for even more updates!|
Visit the Hartsook website for:
– Educational opportunities
– Books/reference articles
– Conference/workshop speakers
Strategies for Success explores smart ideas, connecting with thousands of fundraising professionals. We welcome your best practices contributions or comments. Send to Strategies for Success editor Karin Cox, [email protected]. If you’d like a free subscription to Strategies for Success or its monthly companion, eHartsook on Philanthropy, contact [email protected].