The Power of Philanthropy™
“Give your life to something that will outlive you.” I received this priceless piece of wisdom early in my career from professional Scouter and Independence Plan for Neighborhood Council Founder Dick Hettrick. His advice has grounded my fundraising philosophy for decades.
“Most people waste their time pursuing things other people have convinced them are important,” he added. “But those are things that will die with the doing.” I knew he was right.
Every day, around the world, I have the opportunity to engage with fundraisers who are diligently, responsibly and even intensely doing their jobs – yet, they are often missing something foundational: the “why” behind “what” they do. Here are three things to understand about the nobility of fundraising and the Power of Philanthropy™.
Fundraising is more than a job.
For me, fundraising has always been more than a job. It is a way of life. Unfortunately, for too many in the profession, fundraising is little more than a set of mechanical steps and learned behaviors that lead to the same outcomes year after year.
Fundraising is about more than you (or the organization).
The most successful and satisfied fundraisers know what it means to care about and commit to something bigger than themselves, something that will outlive them. They understand the impact their work has on the lives of others, and this is what motivates them.
Fundraising is about others.
A win is not solely about “closing the gift.” It is about “…closing the gap in educational opportunities,” “…providing shelter for the homeless,” “…adding a new wing to the hospital,” and meeting limitless other needs. Fundraising is not about receiving a check, but about giving donors the opportunity to be part of something larger than them that will last beyond their lifetimes.
As Chairman and CEO, I am proud to work with Hartsook’s team of nearly 100 professionals. They certainly know how to help nonprofits raise more money. More importantly, they understand and care about the impact these dollars achieve.
Join Us on the Growing Philanthropy Tour
Next stops on the road to achieving Hartsook’s mission of growing philanthropy by 25 percent in the next 20 years:
April 16, 2019
Nonprofit Workshop & Social
Grant Me the Money! Define, Prepare, Apply & Award
May 30-31, 2019
National Coalition for Homeless Veterans
2019 Annual Conference
Data-driven Donor Identification, Cultivation, Solicitation and Appreciation Developing a Comprehensive Fundraising Plan
July 11, 2019
2019 Bridge Conference
AFP of Washington DC Metro Area Chapter
Prepared for Success: Demystifying the Major Gift Campaign
Los Angeles, Calif.
October 10-12, 2019
2019 Economic Science Association
North American Meetings
November 14-15, 2019
Randomized Controlled Trials
Resources for Smart Fundraising Available on Kindle
Keep up to date on the latest fundraising trends with the Kindle ASR Media collection:
- Reality Fundraising – Ideas, insights and lessons learned through hundreds of best practices from nonprofit professionals nationwide by Bob Hartsook
- Fundraising Leadership – The definitive source for empowering board members to become pro-active fundraising leaders by Karin L. Cox
- Getting Your Ducks in a Row – A tool box of strategies for effective campaign fundraising by Bob Hartsook
- Million Dollar Gifts – Real-life stories of million-dollar gifts that will amaze and inspire your fundraising by Bob Hartsook
- Closing that Gift – “29 secrets” to closing a gift and avoiding the top 10 solicitation mistakes by Bob Hartsook
- Performance-Driven Fundraising – Handy, yet entertaining reference tool for new and seasoned fundraisers by Matthew J. Beem
- Nobody Wants to Give Money Away! – Stories, humor and more than two decades of fundraising experience in which Bob explores the nine fundraising truths essential to success by Bob Hartsook
- On The Money! – An enlightening collection of success stories and lessons learned from nonprofit fundraising campaigns nationwide by Bob Hartsook
- $231 Billion Raised and Counting – by Bob Hartsook, Matthew J. Beem, Karin Cox and over a dozen Hartsook consultants and clients. Hartsook shares stories and “Strategies for Success” that will educate and inspire
How to Get Million Dollar Gifts and Have Donors Thank You (ASR Media) recounts 101 strategies surrounding amazing, real life fundraising gifts of one-million dollars or more. Go here for a special price of $10 (plus shipping and handling).
On the Web
Visit the Hartsook website for:
– Educational opportunities
– Books/reference articles
– Conference/workshop speakers
Strategies for Success explores smart ideas, connecting with thousands of fundraising professionals. We welcome your best practices contributions or comments. Send to Strategies for Success editor Karin Cox, [email protected]. If you’d like a free subscription to Strategies for Success or its monthly companion, eHartsook on Philanthropy, contact [email protected].